Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Staining and Finishing


Staining Once I choose my stain I choose my tools. I like a sponge brush and a rag...Mr. Marie prefers a painting brush and my Pop usually uses just a sponge brush. So I will explain to you what I know and you can go from there in order to find what works for you.

I dip the tip of my sponge brush into the stain and dab off any extra on the edge of the can or container I'm using. Then I go back and forth on medium sized area of wood. I place my brush down pick up a rag and give it a firm but even swipe over the stained area. (I do not let it sit any longer than it takes to just place my brush down and pick up the rag.) I feel this technique makes the stain light and even. I like to do it this way so that if I want my finished product to be a bit darker I can go back and add another layer after it dries instead of starting out dark and realizing it was too much. Its harder to remove stain than add more.

Then you wait (a long time usually 12-24 hours) for your stain to dry completely. Once your stain is dry and your satisfied with the tone of it, you are ready for a sealant layer. If you want your project darker add another layer of stain in the same fashion and wait for it to dry completely before moving on.

NOTE: I always wear latex gloves while staining to protect my skin. Stain takes a long time to come off. Also make sure your always wearing clothes you don't care about because it does not come out of fabric.




Finishing
There are so many different types of products to finish projects. So make sure do your homework before you just buy one. Look around in your hardware store, ask an associate and make sure your buying what works best for the project your doing.

For staining projects I always use polyurethane. I personally use Minwax products just because they are what I grew up using and I have never had any problems with the quality (and no, Minwax does not pay me to state these things, I just truly feel that way). There are many different finishes to polyurethane you can have something be super shiny or no shine at all! It’s referred to usually as clear gloss, semi gloss, gloss and so on and so forth.

Polyurethane should be applied in a nice thin layer. You want to paint it on evenly and smoothly. I still use a sponge brush to do this but again you can use a regular paint brush. Always let your project dry completely between coats and if needed give it a gentle sanding with some 200 grit sand paper to get rid of any imperfections or bubbles. Then apply another thin layer. Repeat as needed.

NOTE: Always stir never shake your stain or polyurethane as it will get bubbles in it that will transfer to your work. You may still get some bubbles with stirring but that's ok, you can take care of a few bubbles pretty easily by sanding between coats.

The Quick Break Down...

~ apply one coat of stain at a time until desired color is reached.

~always allow it to dry completely in between coats.

~apply one coat of polyurethane at a time. (of desired gloss finish)

~always allow it to dry completely in between coats.

~use 200 or above grit sand paper, once your first layer is dry and give it a very light gentle sanding.

~wipe off all sanding residue and apply another layer of polyurethane.

~repeat sanding and layer of polyurethane until desired look is accomplished. (usually 2-3 coats is plenty)

~let it dry completely for few days and then move it inside where you can showcase your beautiful work!

Creatively Yours,
Christina Marie

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share This